For those of us suffering from anxiety, facing stress and uncertainty can feel completely overwhelming. Anxiety hijacks your body and mind, making it difficult or impossible to calm down and find your center. Fortunately, there are many natural remedies for anxiety that help us by engaging the healing systems that already exist in our own bodies.
Try these methods to restore your inner peace in times of trouble:
Anxiety is a cognitive state in which we are unable to regulate our emotions. Sometimes, the neural pathways in our brains are wired to favor anxiety rather than emotional regulation. Meditation can help you rewire those pathways. In fact, studies show that the amygdala (the part of our brain responsible for anxiety) actually shrinks in response to a meditation practice. Here’s how it works:
- First, we become aware of our emotions and thoughts, and where they’re coming from
- Next, we bring awareness to our body and the physical sensations we are feeling
- Finally, we change our relationship with our emotions and sensations, building an inner “safe place” to turn to for shelter when anxiety sets in
Ready to try it? Check out this calming meditation from mindfulness teacher Tara Brach HERE
Mantras are repeated words or phrases used to strengthen concentration or meditation. They work by focusing your mind on something positive and calming, providing a counter-balance to anxious thoughts.
Some people chant mantras in rhythm with their breathing when they are feeling anxious. You can also write your mantras out and place them where you’ll notice them frequently.
Here are some calming mantras to help you work through anxious feelings. Get in a comfortable position, in a quiet environment, and repeat some of these affirming phrases:
- I am safe, I am supported
- This too shall pass
- I am peace, I am calm
- I deserve serenity
- Within me is a peacefulness that cannot be altered
- I will not fear the unexpected
- Worry is a waste of energy
- All is well
- Health surrounds me
In a time of upheaval, caring for yourself is not a luxury—it’s a necessity. A common reaction to anxiety and stress is to focus all of your energy into dealing with the situation, rather than being mindful of our own well-being. Rituals can help you reset and restore a sense of normalcy when things seem upside-down.
Here are three of our favorite soul-care rituals:
Mother Nature is responsible for our Zen Blend Oral Tonic—also known as our stress-relieving “happy juice.” One spritz contains a rainbow of sustainably grown flower essences, to warm your soul and promote feelings of tranquility.
Each little plant has been harvested at its medicinal crest, so every spray of Zen Blend offers peak potency:
- LAVENDER: A known stress-soother
- YARROW: For resilience and composure
- STAR TULIP: Calms the mind
- MANZANITA: Brings centeredness
- DANDELION: Detoxifies and releases tension
- SELF-HEAL: An immunity booster
Remember, we are all in this together! Stay connected by checking in on Instagram at @zentsofficial. Let us know how you’re staying zen today ✨✨
Ireland, Tom: “What Does Mindfulness Meditation Do to Your Brain?” June 12, 2014. Retrieved from https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/guest-blog/what-does-mindfulness-meditation-do-to-your-brain/