Dry skin is a drag in so many ways. It looks rough and flaky, and feels tight and uncomfortable. Skin dehydration causes your cells to deflate, which magnifies signs of aging. If not addressed promptly, chronic dryness can even cause collagen breakdown which inhibits your body’s natural cycle of youthful replenishment. Fortunately, there are ways to quench your skin and restore its illuminated luster.
What causes skin dehydration? And what is the best moisturizer for dry skin? Our ZENTS experts answer four common dry skin questions:
Why is your skin so dry?
- Environmental factors: Depending on where you live, how much time you spend outdoors, and the season, your skin may be experiencing the impacts of dry air, exposure to sun and wind, or cold temperatures.
- You’re over-cleansing or over-exfoliating: Harsh cleansers and overzealous exfoliation are two common culprits. While it may seem like a good idea to strip and scour that dead skin away, using chemical-laden products and scrubbing irritated skin can do more harm than good.
- You’re using the wrong moisturizer: This is where clean ingredients come in. Even high-end moisturizers can contain fillers, toxins, and alcohol. These elements can be drying at best, and damaging at worst. Choose a moisturizer formulated without parabens, phthalates, propylene glycol, dyes, sulfates, and other unnatural ingredients.
- You’re moisturizing at the wrong time: If you’re letting your skin dry after bathing, then applying a moisturizer, you’re not maximizing your skin’s hydration potential. Skipping other prime moisturization times, such as after washing hands and before heading outdoors, can also be detrimental.
- Genetics: Dry skin can be genetic. Your mom or dad may have passed along a gene mutation which causes your skin to remain dry in any environment.
What’s the solution to dry skin?
- Keep a humidifier on at night: Hack your current climate by providing some man-made humidity. Run a humidifier nearby so your skin can soak up the moisture.
- Stay hydrated: You’ve heard this one before, but we’ll remind you again. Drinking plenty of water helps moisturize your skin naturally, and cleanses your body of toxins that may irritate it. Drink up!
- Use a high-quality cleanser and moisturizer: INGREDIENTS, INGREDIENTS, INGREDIENTS. Your body wash and lotion should have real, nourishing ingredients. The best cleansers and moisturizer for dry skin will contain elements like shea butter, coconut oil, and antioxidants.
- Create a hydration ritual: A hydration ritual will give your skin the moisture it craves with the regularity it needs.
How can you implement a hydration ritual?
A layered hydration ritual provides up to five times the hydration and age-defying benefits as just lotion alone. Here’s a ritual that is perfect for ultra-dry skin, mature skin, and dry climates .
- Step 1: Begin immediately after bathing and while skin is still damp.
- Step 2: Put lotion in your palm, then add three spritzes of body oil to blend for a hydration super-boost. Smooth all over.
- Step 3: Massage a reparative balm into extra dry areas like knees and elbows.
What is the best moisturizer for dry skin?
Good things really do come in threes! Try the age-defying ZENTS Quench Trio for intensive hydration:
- Concreta: A deep-conditioning balm infused with rich organic shea butter and skin-plumping paracress plant extract that can be applied to the neck, décolleté, elbows, cuticles, heels, knees, and feet.
- Probiotic Lotion* and Body Oil: Use together to combine vegan probiotic peptides, hyaluronic acid, and coconut oil from our Probiotic Lotion with vitamin E, safflower oil, and sunflower oil from our Body Oil.
- Select your Quench Trio, our best moisturizer for dry skin, in any of our exquisite, carefully curated aromas. Sensitive to scents? Check out our UNZENTED line.
ZENTS products were born from healing, and are used in 5-star spas for their hydrating, firming, age-defying benefits. All ZENTS products are formulated without parabens, phthalates, propylene glycol, mineral oil, dyes, sulfates, or palm oil.
*Check back in December to find out how to get a complimentary full-size Probiotic Lotion in our best-selling EARTH aroma.